How do you know if you have the flu and what to do!
If you have flu here are a few tips that will help you feel better:
- Why wait to treat your symptoms? Remedies such as Lemsip Max All in One Lemon, Nurofen Express Tablets (ibuprofen lysine) and Strepsils Extra Blackcurrant Lozenges (hexylresorcinol) can help relieve your symptoms. Always read the label.
- Drink plenty of fluids, such as water, vitamin-rich fruit drinks and hot drinks. Avoid caffeine-containing drinks such as coffee, tea, cola and other fizzy drinks as these are diuretics, which could cause further dehydration.
- Try to eat healthy foods and include lots of fruit and vegetables. Unless you have a fever, wrap up warm and keep the room at a comfortable temperature – about 20°C – and open the bedroom window a little to allow fresh air in.
- Humidity may help to ease a cough and congestion – a vaporiser could be used to bring some relief – or simply place a bowl of water near the radiator in your bedroom.
- Get as much rest as you can. Make sure you have early nights for a while to help your body fully recover.
- If you are suffering from a blocked nose, prop yourself up in bed with pillows to help ease your breathing at night.
If you are concerned you may have flu specifically including Swine flu check online at the National Pandemic Flu Service. If it is confirmed you have flu, ask you “flu friend” to collect any prescribed medicines and to purchase over-the-counter medicines you might need. Do not go into your GP surgery or go to hospital, to help avoid the spread of flu.